Thursday, May 19, 2011

What’s on the Menu?

I would love to be One of Those People Who Have Dinners Planned in Advance, but I’m not. Most days I struggle with what to do when 5:00 rolls around, and I count myself lucky that if nothing else my girls will eat carrots for dinner every day and never complain. (Yes; really.)

So, this is my official Go To Meal When I Don’t Have a Clue What Else To Make . . . and yes; I had to seriously think about it to write everything down.
Breakfast is yummy
Beef and Bean Casserole

(I should start by clarifying this misnomer . . . it’s not a casserole per se but more of a “pot” dish, like chili.)
Start by browning about a pound, maybe a pound and a quarter, of ground beef (or ground turkey). While you work on that, since I *know* you must multitask, grab a big pot and start putting everything else together. 
The “everything else” would be . . .
1 large can of baked beans (28 ounces; yes . . . I checked)
2 small cans of Some Other Kind of Beans, drained (I use one red kidney bean, dark or light) and one whitish bean, like a navy or a pinto.)
1 teaspoon of ground mustard
1 tablespoon of minced onion
a pinch of salt
3 tablespoon of ketchup (Really, don’t measure this part . . . 3 squeezes from the bottle ought to do.)
3 tablespoons of brown sugar (dark or light)
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Add the cooked meat to the pot, pop the pot on the burner, and simmer (covered) for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Done!

3 comments :

  1. This would be great on a surprise rainy day when I tend to get too lazy to cook! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound good and it looks easy.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love an easy recipe! This seems to fit that description perfectly!

    ReplyDelete