Thoughts on Homeschooling

I intended to write about something else today, but all weekend I couldn't stop thinking about the idea of homeschooling and how it sounds more appealing to me every day. A whole jumble of thoughts have been running through my brain these past few days.

What's likely going down this year . . .

Eva will be going to Kindergarten this fall at the school on base. I'm hoping she will be in a foreign language partial immersion class (if there are more students than spaces, they go to a lottery system, so we won't know for sure until mid-month). I really want her to have this opportunity, as this is our last year living overseas. Plus, I've gotten her so stoked about going to school, I think she would be too disappointed if I started homeschooling right now. And, oh yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing . . . I might need this entire school year to get my act together.

Julia may not be going to school this fall, however, for a reason completely unrelated to my newfound interest in educating at home. While my first reaction was disappointment, now I'm wondering if it's not more of a blessing in disguise. (More details on that in a future post.)

What I'm researching right now . . .

Agent E reading to 3-month-old Agent A
To curriculum or not is my question. While unschooling sounds interesting on many levels, particularly now that I know what it really is, I think I'm too neurotic to not have a specific plan each day. I need something to look at . . . a calendar, a schedule, a workbook, something. (And Agent E is very into that kind of thing. Agent J, not so sure about her yet.)  That said, I also do not find myself initially drawn to any of the well-known "traditional" approaches. I may have to start from scratch on that one and see what I can "build" on my own.

What I'm finding humorous . . .

I'm truly amused by all the chatter about socialization. Since when did school become the only social activity for children between the ages of 5 and 18? I'm also reading Hold On To Your Kids: Why Parents Need To Matter More Than Peers and it has been eye-opening to say the least.

What I intend to do next . . .

I see much more research and zillions more lists (my specialty) in my immediate future as I continue to slog through all of this. All blogworthy, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment