Monday, September 12, 2011

The One I Didn't Post

I had a whole wonderfully witty post written, and I just deleted it.

On purpose.

Agent A's new trick
Turns out it wasn't so sparkling-clever after all. Just snarky.

(Not that I don't appreciate the occasional snark. I most definitely do.)

But sometimes I just have to stop myself and think: Would I say these words to this person if he/she were standing right in front of me? If the answer is no, I will not. go. there.

I will respond with compassion. If I cannot respond with compassion, I will not respond at all.

As you were.

Before you speak, think: Is it necessary? Is it true? Is it kind? Will it hurt anyone? Will it improve on the silence?
—Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Pin It!

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for this. I sometimes need to be reminded of this too.

    And look at little A! He's on his way very soon it looks like!

    Jessica G

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is ready to chase the Senior Agents, for sure. He gets so mad when he can't move fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now a really bad part of me wants to know what the post was about....

    Thanks goodness that you are a better person than me!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva, part of me is wishing I didn't delete it, and instead tried to rewrite it. I am delete key happy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really interesting. I understand where you're at completely. I admit to the odd snarky post, but they always have a positive purpose.

    For example, when I posted about the Seven Deadly Sins of Daycare Parenting it was an attempt to advocate for children who suffer when their parents behave a certain way- usually thoughtlessly. Sometimes 'snarky' breaks through where 'sweet' doesn't.

    You really have to contemplate whether what you're writing is undeniable truth (if unpleasant) that needs to be aired, or just an opinionated rant.

    ReplyDelete