Friday, September 9, 2011

Week One: Surviving, Mourning, and (Oh, Yeah) Some Learning, Too

We may need a wee bit more time to adjust to this new homeschooling routine. The Senior Agents decided this week to throw all semblance of normal sleep out the window. Agent A, my super sleeper, has also become restless at bedtime . . . poking and scratching and latching on forcefully but not really nursing . . . kind of like laying down next to an angry chicken. Two days this week at least one of my children woke up before 5:00 a.m. Good times.

Can you feel a sense of loss over something you never had? I did not expect the emotions that would surface seeing all the first day of Kindergarten photos of my daughter's preschool friends. One of my biggest worries about homeschooling is/was that my girls love school. Seeing "everyone" else experience this milestone stirred up some odd feelings. I'm not sure if I am sad or relieved. 

Agent E reading to Agent J one day this week
I started the week with a general plan of what we would cover and then let Agent E pick what she wanted to do each day. We printed some pages on Italy (map, flag, the Coliseum, the Leaning Tower of Pisa . . . Italy is our country of the week), did some math (single-digit subtraction), talked about the five senses, read a few Bible stories, and did some word scrambles/word searches (she loves those). Oh, and we listened to some Italian songs and vocabulary while we colored. (Coloring is big around here.) Mostly she enjoyed playing with Agent J while Agent A observed and made mental notes. We also watched Hello Kitty Goes to the Movies about 10 times. Once in French. Thursday I told her we were taking all of our current library books back on Friday (today), so we had a lot of reading time Thursday afternoon.

To sum, overall our first week went well, but I'm feeling a bit disorganized. Oh, well . . . there's always next week.

Pin It!

2 comments :

  1. Oh, wow, I really know what you mean about the sense of loss, not having first day of kindergarten or ...preschool graduation! Seeing friends' photos online made me feel really guilty that I was somehow depriving my children (or myself) from these experiences. Now that we are in full swing homeschooling and have our very own special traditions, those manmade milestones just don't seem to matter to me anymore.
    I have a kindergartner and first grader this year and look forward to readin more about your journey.
    Be blessed!
    Laurie @ www.sproutschoolhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie! I know . . . one of my biggest concerns is how much my girls LOVE school and am I depriving them of something they *want* to do. But they are enjoying it so far. Looking forward to checking out your blog. Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete