Friday, October 21, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (12)

This week is so lame that I had to make the parts of this post I usually just add in the way of an introduction without "counting" (i.e., #1 and #2) a part of the list instead. How's that for pathetic?

1. One dozen Quick Takes and counting. Woo!

2. Be sure to check out Jennifer's post over at Conversion Diary, as well as the other great bloggers who have linked their posts.

3. How do fellow bloggers plan in terms of a blogging calendar, scheduling writing time, limiting online time, etc? I think I need to be more deliberate with when I write, for how long, and the amount of time I spend staring at my laptop. What kind of routine works for you? Do share.

4. Discovered this week that the Halloween costumes we bought for the girls a few weeks ago, thinking we were oh so on top of things this year instead of waiting until 30 October . . . don't fit. They are waaaaay too big. Now I'm trying to decide if I pin/tie them up in some fashion or come up with a new idea. (No; sewing is not an option.) Of course, it will probably be a good thing if they can be fully dressed in jeans and sweatshirts under their dresses, as it will likely be necessary.

Agent C, looking for an escape route
5. Today is library day. It always cracks me up to see the book choices the girls come up with. I select a few based on our homeschooling notes for the upcoming week, and then they each pick 2 or 3 as well. It's always so random . . . I could probably do a whole Quick Takes post on the eclectic pile of books we come home with later today.

6. Thoughts on this article about the direction/focus of ministries for women? Personally, I agree with most of what she has to say, and have not felt comfortable in these situations since . . . well . . . ever.

7. Okay, so I'm all about questions today, but . . . for those of you who homeschool young children, do you do foreign language? We are studying Italian right now (duh) but I intend to expand to other languages in the coming years. I want my children to be interested in other languages, although right now it's mostly singing songs and learning vocabulary for things around the house. I try to learn a little bit of the language of countries we travel  to. (At least enough to exchange basic pleasantries like hello, good morning, please, thank you, excuse me, and the ever popular, "I'm sorry. I don't know much _____. Do you speak any English?") I want the Agents to be exposed to languages at a young age so they can chose later on which one(s) they would like to study more in depth. Any great resources you could pass on?

4 comments :

  1. Hi:) I just wanted to pass The Versatile Blogger Award on to you! It’s for new or newly discovered blogs that have a lot to offer readers. Here’s the link to my blog for more information and the award button. I think you have a unique insight to share as a fairly new homeschooler in a completely different setting than most of us. Glad to have found your blog!
    http://www.littlehomeschoolontheprairie.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as blogging, set aside some time during naptime (if your kids still do that) or have your kids do some quiet time (drawing, reading, etc.) for about 45 min to give you time to blog.

    i do the quick takes and also "the simple woman's daybook" which gives me 2 days of blogging material. you could also just write down ideas as you have them during the day for when you can sit down and write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I will check out The Simple Woman's Daybook. As far as naps, only the baby naps, and that's only for 1.5-2 hours a day, and we have other things we do during that time. I actually tend to do most of my writing before they wake up, but I don't always feel like I have a focus on what I want to accomplish each day, week, or month. I'm beginning to think it may just be a bit more random than I'd like until the Agents are older. In the interim, I'm trying to leave my computer off for big chunks of the day so I'm not tempted to do "one quick thing" all the time. I think I am more productive if I work in blocks of time (as hard as they are to find).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My reply is way past due but for some reason I kept this entry in my e-mail box. Wanted to point you to Yabla.com for language study. Rosetta stone is ... okay. We have it for two languages and the age that it's best for is the age that the kids don't like it as much because it's boring. Go figure. It can be good for adults, but only if you make sure to use it every. single. day. (Older kids too - like teens.) My husband is a translator and he uses Yabla, Youtube (believe it or not), the "Teach Yourself" series, lots and lots of foreign music, Google Translate and one of his FIRST go-to study sources is the Bible because it uses fairly simple vocabulary and can be found in every language.

    I hear you on the computer time - my home business is computer-based so I end up spending a LOT of time on the screen - which affects how much time my young scholars think THEY should be on-screen. And then they want to use MY computer. It's a balance and a struggle.

    ~ Melissa @ http://tillieisms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete