Thursday, January 19, 2012

Let It Go

I consider myself to be sort of the anti-pack rat. I don't really have a problem with holding on to too many things, and I am more than willing to sell or donate unused items.

This doesn't mean I always do this. It just means I know I am capable. (Unlike most people in my family and my husband's family . . . but we're not even going to go there.)

I am also not a big fan of cleaning. Just keeping up with the laundry and vacuuming and kitchen stuff makes me woozy. But the truth is . . . the less stuff you have, the easier it is to clean (and organize). We're making a concerted effort to par down right now . . . resolution-y January and all. It helps that we are getting ready to move in a few months—additional built-in motivation.

So, my biggest tip for keeping all those resolutions to finally have a clean, efficient house is (drum roll please) . . .

Get rid of stuff.

If it sounds too easy, it's because, well, it is.

Here are some specific tips I use for deciding what stuff goes and what stuff stays. (And, I'm trying to see how many times I can use the word "stuff" in one blog post.)

Household Stuff
Less cleaning, more playing with cute babies
Think about the end result: How nice it will be when dusting/cleaning doesn't take forever. A few meaningful framed photos, knick knacks, or candles can be nice. Moving 27 separate items just to dust the top of the TV stand, not so much.

Kitchen Stuff
Ask yourself these three questions: 1. Do you use it? 2. Do you use it? 3. Do you use it? 

Clothing (and Shoes and Jewelry) Stuff
Does it serve a specific purpose? Does it make you feel fabulous? And (ooh, here's the hard one) does it fit?

Sentimental Stuff
If you're mushy, embrace it. Then move on. Even I keep lots of stuff I will never use/need again. (Um, three ginormous boxes of baby clothes in the attic, anyone?)

Now I think I need to take my own advice and go organize a closet or something.

7 comments :

  1. I love your three questions in kitchen stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been choosing to live a life on purpose, Valerie. It is amazing how much stuff can clutter yoour home and mind. The kitchen is one area that I have a hard time asking Do I use it? there are things that I hang onto just in case I need it and I cannot seem to let it go. But my kitchen is small and storage room is minimal so I need to just rid of it!

    a latte of blessings & giggles, Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so happy to find another "non-keeper." I am quick to get rid of stuff, too. And have found that it leaves me less tied to the things of this world and less bound by clutter. Your "little agents" are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your philosophy to get rid of "stuff"! We recently cleaned out our bedroom closet, as well as a guest room (that my oldest son had recently moved out of), and it felt so good to pare it down to the essentials. It's amazing how much junk we accumulate over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Trying to make this a year of "getting rid of!" Blessings.

    ReplyDelete