Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Writing

Early this week, I (purposely) deleted my writing/blogging calendar from my iCal. I realized that all it did was make me feel bad for not meeting self-imposed deadlines and not staying on track like I imagine those Really Organized Bloggers Who Actually Follow Calendars do.

Instead, I came up with a short list of (realistic) Goals for Blogging in 2012:

It's good to have goals
1. Write frequently and honestly. Be more open and less self-censoring. I cannot even tell you how long I sat on posts because they weren't "perfect" enough to publish. Or how many times I re-read something from my own archives and thought who wrote that? I would love to continue posting two or three times a week; I think that is reasonable for my current season of parenting.

2. Engage actively and positively in the writing/blogging community. Encourage other bloggers with thoughtful comments, links, tags, shares. Remember we are all here to learn from each other; criticizing and harsh words have no place. In other words, I'm going to be supportive and nice.

3. Re-evaluate often. This is usually where all my best laid plans fail. I am beyond awful at objectively assessing what is working and what is not. I need to make a conscious effort to do this routinely, and through an honest lens.

4 comments :

  1. I do the same thing as far as sitting on less-than-perfect posts. It's something I'm trying to work on too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some drafts that have been around for so long it's downright embarrassing. I think it's time to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon anyone who blogs more than once a week is a genius. My aim is 'at least once a week' (I started out hoping for 3 per week) and I've found that much more balanced.

    I totally agree about self-censorship- don't be too hard on yourself, the whole point is to be yourself- but at the same time there's a lot to be said for thorough editing and proofreading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on the editing/proofreading. I worked as a copyeditor for 8 years. I'm borderline neurotic when it comes to typos and poor grammar. Okay, forget the "borderline" part.

    ReplyDelete