Friday, April 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (28)

Time again for Quick Takes Friday. I skipped last week, and I can't for the life of me remember why, although it may have been sleeping-in related (I actually slept until 7:00 or later—gasp!—a few days last week. Since I usually do most of my writing prior to the Agents waking up, this didn't leave me a lot of time.)

Please remember to stop by and check out Jennifer's post and some of the other writers who participate.

1. I'm still kind of in awe at the amount of traveling we've done in the last two years with all those diapers.

Art time silliness
2. Somehow I managed to get on a subscription list for a certain lame mainstream magazine. I think it may have been a couple of years ago through an Amazon purchase; some super-special deal where it was either free or like $3.00 a year for three years, or something ridiculous like that. Many months I just recycle it as soon as it comes in the door, but occasionally I'll take a look just for "fun." Anyway, I have asked them not to send it to me anymore and I'm still getting them. Wow, I must be crunchier than I thought, because this publication, which supposedly offers tips, advice, and information to parents of young children, is a complete load of crap. Seriously, it sucks. In this issue, for instance, I "learned" that I should not be concerned about speech delays, but I should dress my Agents like celebrity children. (I won't even mention the embarrassing number of pages devoted to fashion.) Also, spacing my children further apart would have made them smarter, but it's okay because I can spend exorbitant amounts of cash outfitting them with the perfect bedrooms. Ooh . . . and did you know that watching your baby/child sleep (you know, when you gaze at their chest rising and falling peacefully) and picking out clothes for your four-year-old both qualify as helicopter parenting? Me neither. 

Julia "resting"
3. Okay, I admit it: I find the Old Testament kind of . . . boring. I have read Genesis, most of Psalms, Ecclesiastes, everything from Daniel on, plus a few others. Now I'm back in Matthew, starting yet another New Testament re-read. I'm using NLT, so I don't think the version is the problem, but I'm seriously glazing over here. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

4. My post from Tuesday of this week quickly became my most popular post ever. It's a little weird, because I wrote it in like ten minutes and it wasn't even super-interesting. Lesson learned: more writing, less internal editing. Do you struggle with this?

5. Agents are surviving quite well with most of their usual creature comforts gone. They haven't been sleeping great, but the borrowed beds are squishy in all the wrong places and not very cozy. But so far so good. Starting to think about what will get packed in the suitcases. Soon we'll be doing another shipment of our remaining stuff and be down to what we'll be taking on the plane with us.

Moving day craziness
6. Booked tickets this week to visit family shortly after we return to the states. The Senior Agents are very excited. I still have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that my parents have never met Agent A. (We last saw them a few days after I took the pregnancy test, at about four weeks.)

7. On a related note, I'm never sure how the Agents will react to relatives we haven't seen in a long time. Even when we're not living on another continent we tend to only visit a few times a year at most. I never force them to interact or show affection if they are unsure or feeling uneasy. The older the girls get, however, the more quickly they come around. Not sure what Agent A will think of all of the attention. I'm guessing he'll be glued to me or Hubby to start. In general, they tend to warm up to my dad the best, because he will actually get down on the floor to play with them.

3 comments :

  1. So agree with you about the magazine subscriptions! I received two different subscriptions as baby gifts. I never read them because it always made me feel like an inferior mother. Everything from decorating to toy choices.

    I've called to cancel and sadly the folks who bought them for me are getting refund cheques....so they'll know I sent them back - oops didn't think about that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with you on #3. the ot can be pretty dry, especially when you get into parts of exodus, leviticus, numbers, and deuteronomy. they have special one-year bibles that give you some old testament, a psalm, and some new testament and those are easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen's comment makes me smile b/c I feel just the opposite...yes, all the rule lists are boring but there's so much poetry and so many stories in the OT--psalms and prophets and so on--it seems richer to me than the new (that must be borderline sacreligious to admit).

    Thank God I've managed not to get on the lists for the parenting rags.

    ReplyDelete