Sunday, August 26, 2012

Just an Average Day

Not Back to School Blog Hop This is the last week of the Not Back To School Blog Hop hosted by iHomeschool Network. Our final topic: A Day in the Life.

(My past posts for this link up can be found here: Our CurriculumOur School RoomOur Student Photos)

Today I'm sharing a bit about what our days look like right now. It reflects our "Momma only" routine, as Hubby is currently attending school out of state in preparation for returning to sea duty.

Rather than give you a beginning to end synopsis, which quite frankly would probably only serve to convince you we are the most boring people on the planet, instead I thought I'd share a list of random things (in no particular order) that happen around here most days.
  • I used to be a morning person (as were my children). Now, just the opposite: We all go to bed late (well, the baby goes down at 8:00-ish) and get up much later than we used to. This schedule would not fly if we had to be out the door in the morning for public school that starts at 8:00 a.m. But it works perfectly for learning at home.
  • I always start the day with coffee. The Agents prefer to start their morning with fruit. We snack a lot throughout the day. Most afternoons, I have tea. (Yes, hot tea. Yes, even in the summer.)
Who needs toys when you have . . . a kitchen
  • I try to attack mundane activities with a regular schedule. For example, every night after dinner, I start the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen. The kids typically run off to play as soon as dinner is over, so without them underfoot it only takes 10-15 minutes tops. It's much less overwhelming when I do it at the same time each day. And I like to wake up to clean dishes.
  • We joined the local YMCA recently, and we aim to go every day (except Sunday; they're closed). My logic is if I plan to go six days a week I will actually make it there at least four or five, which is what I really want anyway.
  • While the majority of our day could be considered a learning experience (isn't everything "learning" when you're a child?) on any given day we probably do about 30-60 minutes of actual "school work" in the traditional sense. My oldest is six, and I'm not doing anything formal for the younger two (four and almost two).
  • The Senior Agents are awake for at least 14 hours each day; the Little Agent for at least 12. No one naps, but barring any illnesses everyone sleeps pretty well at night. Still, it makes for some looooong days around here, even though they all entertain themselves and each other pretty well most of the time. I consider myself more of a hands-off tour guide than an in-your-face event planner.
  • On a related note, I try not to structure their days too much. I aim to give them as much freedom to enjoy their time as I can, while still encouraging them to participate in the everyday activities that need to happen to keep the household running smoothly and helping everyone learn to coexist peacefully. (I guess that's a fancy way of saying we don't have a lot of rules or chores or must do's around our house, but instead try to model what is expected so everyone can get along and things that need to happen, happen.)
Sometimes we play in the bathtub in the middle of the day
  • I bathe all three Agents at 7:00-ish each night. We don't do the typical bath/pajamas/brush teeth/read stories/go to bed routine I seem to hear about everywhere. While Agent A usually goes to sleep not long after bath time, the girls and I stay up for several hours. We read, we talk, we watch television, we snack. Our evenings are very relaxed. 

What does your "typical" day (whether or not it involves homeschooling) look like?

8 comments :

  1. I loved reading about your day, and how you refer to yourself as a "hands off tour guide" -- perfect!!

    I admire you for doing this all yourself while your husband is away at school.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The distinction between hands-off tour guide and in-your-face event planner is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with previous posters about the phrase "hands-off tour guide" - wonderful! Your days look like they have a nice flow to them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your day. My hat is off to you going it alone at the moment. The longest I have had all 4 alone is two weeks.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the longest stretch I've ever done with all three. When we just had the girls we went as long as seven months once.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the tour guide/event planner analogy worked . . . I almost deleted it before I hit publish because I wasn't sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great unusual schedule, lol. Thanks for sharing. I freak when I'm hubby less for half a day or when hubby leaves and they start acting up before he has left the end of the block:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get up in the morning and drink tea. I am not a coffee person but I love my tea or hot chocolate even in the summer.

    ReplyDelete