Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Top Ten {Tuesday}: What's In Our Grocery Cart

Top Ten {Tuesday} time once again. (I swear I just wrote one of these posts! I guess this past week went by quickly.) Be sure to stop over and visit our host Angie at Many Little Blessings.

Today I'm sharing ten things in our (red rocket with dual steering wheels) grocery cart.

I thought about just choosing ten random items that we usually buy, but I knew if I did that I would (perhaps subconsciously) choose items that made me look like a together, wholesome, green shopper. I would have included full meal ingredients, and surely disregarded any disposable products or junk food. So, in an effort to "keep it real" (okay, I can't even write that without giggling) I simply chose a receipt from the pile yet to be organized/shredded/recycled. It happened to be from last Thursday, 16 August. Apparently we had just stocked the freezer for dinners, because there is no meat, chicken, turkey, or main dishes of any kind on this list. (I do have to admit, though, that I'm glad it worked out nicely into ten categories.)

You mean I wasn't supposed to snack on the paint?
1. Fresh fruit: strawberries, mangoes, bananas, green seedless grapes. The Agents could live on fruit alone.

2. Frozen fruit: mangoes, pineapples, strawberries. We are on a huge afternoon smoothie kick.

3. Veggies: yellow squash, zucchini, yellow pepper, red pepper, romaine lettuce, baby carrots, frozen corn. The first few mostly for me. Even if dinner is an epic fail all three Agents could survive on carrots.

4. Whole wheat bread. We go through a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches around here.

5. Peanut butter. See #4.

6. Dark chocolate. Everyone gets one small piece for dessert each night. I never sneak more for myself in the middle of the day.

7. Salad dressing. Greek vinaigrette to be exact. I use it for salads and marinating.

8. Sugar-free chocolate pudding. I have decided to stop buying this, as I discovered the brand we purchased has yellow and blue dyes in it. Ugh.

9. Goldfish crackers. I know, I know. But God help us they are the easiest cheap little fishy snacks when you have a house full of snackers.

10. Nonfood items: batteries and baby wipes. Batteries because I always need to have extra on hand for flashlights in case of a power outage. (It's stormy a lot here.) And, yes . . . disposable baby wipes! I'll just turn in my Crunchy Parent Card now.

What's in your grocery cart?

4 comments :

  1. I love this and started thinking of our "grocery list" as well!

    Here's the 10 that are always in our cart:

    1) Milk. My kids are BIG milk drinkers.

    2) Frozen bell peppers and frozen chopped onions. These are staples in our freezer AT ALL TIMES. We use them every day.

    3) Tomatoes. We're growing our own, but in the meantime, we're buying. We make homemade marinara weekly and keep it in the fridge for quick meals.

    4) Raisins. I use them in my oatmeal daily, and my little guy devours them like they're going out of style.

    5) Seasonings. Usually Mrs. Dash and cinnamon, as we seem to use them a lot.

    6) Frozen potatoes o'brien. LOVE THEM, and as much as I love to make them fresh, having them pre-made and frozen is great for fast mornings.

    7) Olives. Because in our house, you can never have too many.

    8) Pinto beans. Lentils. Kidney beans. Anything of the legume variety is a free-for-all at our house.

    9) Breakfast bars. This is the latest kick my kids are on. Fresh and Easy breakfast bars. Strawberry for my girl and blueberry for my boy.

    10) Strawberries. I love this time of year when they're in-season. We make jams, spreads, strawberry applesauce, strawberry pancakes, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about milk. Odd it wasn't on the list that day. Although my kids go through phases where they drink a ton and then avoid it. I usually have a half gallon of whole in the fridge, though, because I put it in my coffee, and I prefer whole milk for cooking.

      Delete
  2. Great list! Fruit, veggies, salad dressing, fruit snacks (sugar free and I love them), vinegar (because it is my main cleaning ingredient), milk and cereal as my daughter goes through a lot of these, and pasta. both gf and regular. We are huge pasta eaters here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We clean everything with vinegar here, too. I buy the biggest one I can find! Ah, and the pasta . . . yes, we eat tons of that, too. I started buying the half whole grain variety (at first) and then the 100% whole wheat pasta. So far, the Agents are okay with it. In fact, Agent E told me "hey, I like this new brown pasta." Ha!

      Delete