Friday, October 5, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (38)

Hello, all and welcome to another 7 Quick Takes Friday. Please be sure to stop by our host Jen's blog as well.

1. I mentioned in last week's Quick Takes about our dilemma with looking for a church. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to denominations, my heart belongs to the ELCA. There are only two such congregations within 30 minutes of our house. One is small and reminds me of the church where Dear Hubby and I were married. The other is a bit bigger with more bells and whistles and a particular amenity that may prove useful: a cry room. Both have a Sunday school program the girls could attend, although the smaller church would put them in the same class and the larger church would separate them. Neither offers an option for Agent A during that time, so I would pretty much be hanging out in the nursery with him. (Each church has a room set up as a nursery during the services, but no one is available for the Sunday school hour. But, it would be a place we could go to keep him occupied instead of trying to keep him from eating brochures in the narthex.) 

2. Current read: What Your First Grader Needs To Know (Hirsch). I'm still on a quest to read at least a book a week. So far all of them have been related to homeschooling/education or blogging/writing. I'm also trying to get back on track with daily Bible reading but kind of failing miserably there.

We like books
3. And speaking of books, our magic number of library books out at any given time seems to be 28. Even when we decide to return only part of our stash, and renew others, then make a trip to the library and end up walking to the checkout desk without even counting our new pile . . . somehow when we get home we realize we are back at exactly 28 books.

4. In the category of Things I Say Every Day would be some variation of the following: Why are you naked? What happened to your clothes? Where are your pants? Why are you not wearing underwear? Does this happen at your house, too? Or am I raising a small brood of future nudist colony residents?

5. Agent J is on a quest to learn how to spell everything in the universe. I recall this stage with Agent E occurring a little earlier, but it's pretty much a repeat of what I saw with her. How do you spell . . . is her new favorite phrase. I'm not sure how much she is actually retaining. I do know, however, that shortly after this obsession ended with Agent E, she started recognizing tons of words in print and then basic reading was right around the corner. Bob Books, anyone? 

6. Dinner time conversation . . . E: West Virginia is kind of shaped like a dolphin. Me: Um, what? E: You know, if you turn it sideways. Me: I . . . don't . . . think so. E, J, and A: (crazy, maniacal laughing for the next ten minutes). Really, you can't make this stuff up.

7. U.S. friends, enjoy the Columbus day weekend. I almost forgot, as all the days pretty much mush together around here. And Canadian friends, Happy Thanksgiving.

9 comments :

  1. I just found your blog through the 7 Quick Takes link up and I am so glad because I love it!

    I had to laugh at #4 because that is SO my battle every single day. Glad to know it's not just my kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4: I think it's just the age? Daniel loves to be naked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I am visiting from SITS. I am bad with the daily bible study too I am very good at letting everything else get in the way.

    Good luck finding a church, its a hard task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Haley. It's hard finding a church! I hope you have success soon.

    Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to attempt the smaller of the two churches tomorrow. If we make it at least until the sermon before giving up, I think I will call it success. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself chuckling over things I say almost daily, too. Having kids sure brings humor to our lives:)
    Here from the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up ELCA. I did some church visiting last year and discovered that it truly is where my heart is too. Luckily I live in the Midwest and they are plentiful. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah . . . not so much in the south :-) Lots of Baptist churches, lots of mega churches, not very many ELCA. But we did find one and went last week and are going back this week . . . so far, so good.

      Delete