Monday, October 29, 2012

Perception

Let's play a little game. I'm going to share some things about myself and I want you to consider what image pops into your head when you read each one.

I'm a Christian. I believe in a personal relationship with Jesus and read the Bible.

My husband is the breadwinner in our family and handles 99% of the finances. I stay home with our three children, and haven't earned a paycheck since 2007.

We homeschool without a strict curriculum and have few arbitrary "rules" at our house.

As a mother I identify most with attachment parenting. We have co-slept with all three children (only the youngest currently), and I've breastfed all three into toddlerhood.

All three Agents are vaccinated on schedule without fear because of, you know, science.

Our family reads a lot. My oldest reads about two grade levels above average. 

The Agents play outside a few hours every day (weather permitting).  The television is also on at our house several hours a day.

Agent E's latest tooth loss
On any given playground trip, I will probably tell my children to be careful a dozen times, utter multiple "good job" proclamations, and break out the hand sanitizer at least once.

I consider myself a very liberal Democrat on pretty much any issue (social or otherwise) you could think of.

I've had a planned induction (some medical concerns, but mostly elective) and an epidural early in labor. And I would do it again.

I have turned down social invitations because I don't want to leave my children at night, especially when they are very young.

We don't have fancy cars, phones, or gadgets. We live in a comfortable house in a pleasant, safe neighborhood. We can afford to take nice vacations.

At what point did you have me figured out? If you only read one of these things, would you believe you had a pretty good picture of who I am? What about after reading all of them? 

8 comments :

  1. Fun post. You're so right that people learn one fact and think they have someone figured out. It was fun to see a few that some might think didn't go together.

    Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I enjoyed writing this post. I probably could have made it longer, but I figured I already sounded pretty contradictory and crazy. :-)

      Delete
  2. We have some things in common, others not. The only thing that struck a nerve was when you said "because of, you know, science" in regards to vaccinating on schedule, because it makes it sound like doing otherwise is ignoring science.

    I don't think you sound contradictory. So you vaccinate on schedule and use hand sanitizer--you never claimed to be a totally natural parent. I don't think being a liberal Christian is contradictory, either. Sounds more like you think things through rather than just be a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that one might strike a nerve more than others. The whole topic of vaccination brings out my snarkiness like nothing else can. One reason I don't discuss it much on this blog . . . I usually try to stay out of that particular drama.

      Delete
  3. Popped in from SITS to say hi! My gf is thinking about homeschooling her boys because her oldest has so much anxiety....I'll point her this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all make the decisions that we feel are right for our families- and we shouldn't be defined by any of them.

    ReplyDelete