Monday, December 24, 2012

Nothing Ever Goes As Planned

You know that thing where you go on a week's vacation you've been planning for what seems like forever and two out of your three kids get sick and you end up seeing the rather costly cruise ship doctor four times in three days (once after hours)? And yet you still manage to have a decent time? Yep; that was us, last week.

Boarding the ship . . . all still healthy
I've written before about how we are huge Disney fans. Last Saturday, Hubby, the Agents, and I set sail on the Disney Fantasy bound for the Eastern Caribbean. We booked this trip back in January. Yes, as in twelve months in advance. We may have been a tad excited about it. This would be our second Disney Cruise, having sailed on the Magic last summer. 

Of course, we try to have reasonable expectations for traveling with the Agents. And, this was not our first experience with battling illness while vacationing. (There was that whole Julia puking in Siena, Italy incident.) 

This time, Agent A came down with a very bad cold and ear infection (his first) and a couple of cold-related nose bleeds. Once we got some antibiotics in him, he was a new man within 12 hours. (I wish we had taken him in a day sooner.) Then Agent J caught his cold, and it triggered her asthma cough . . . the never-ending, barking, horrible-sounding, Agent J Signature Cough. We finally got her some meds that worked, and after a couple of nebulizer treatments she eventually moved on to normal I-have-a-bad-cold coughing opposed to I-sound-like-I'm-dying coughing. 

Meet and greet with Snow White and Dopey
(Folks in close proximity to Agent J had one of two reactions: They either looked on in horror, thinking she was carrying some sort of plague, or nodded sympathetically and said she sounded like their asthmatic kids when they were younger. Guess which ones I hoped we ended up on the elevator with.)

All in all, though, we had a good time. Really. It helped that we didn't have to worry about driving anywhere, or preparing meals, or even so much as cleaning up after ourselves. Hubby and I ended up each spending a significant amount of usually rare one-on-one time with the Agents (either in the room with the one not feeling well, or out-and-about with the other one). We missed out on some things, but in general we still had fun, even Agents J and A. (Agent E, of course, had the time of her life. And promptly came down with the same illness shortly after we returned home.)

Still, I would be lying if I said it wasn't at least a little disappointing. We completely missed the port visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico, because that was the day that Agents J and A overlapped in really feeling bad and we all stayed on board. Only Hubby and Eva got to partake in Pirate Night. Agent J had to miss out on a few days of activities at the kids' club, and we cancelled our special date brunch at the "adults only" restaurant because even once A felt better there was no way we would leave him with anyone while he had a cold and just wanted Mommy Comfort.

Nursing Agent A . . . in a hammock . . . on the beach . . . in the Bahamas
(Can I just mention how glad I am to have a nursing toddler after that week? A refused food and water for nearly three days, but he still nursed. Otherwise, he would have been completely dehydrated and way worse off. Now I'm even more unsure about this whole weaning thing.)

However, we still saw lots of characters, ate tons of good food, met Princesses, got all dolled up for formal night, and had fun at the aquarium and at the beach. We even made it to three of the theater shows (Agent A slept through all of them) and by Friday everyone felt well enough to hit the pools and ride AquaDuck. A pretty good week after all.

How did your last family vacation turn out?

30 comments :

  1. Wow that sounds like an intense trip! It's good to see you still tried to make the best of it. There were tons of people sick on the cruise I took and at least 7 out of 13 from our group either got sick on the ship or when they got home.

    It's great you were able to split up sick duty though and go off one-on-one with the other agents. Hope they're all feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I used to be really paranoid about traveling and getting sick. Then it actually happens, and it's not as bad as you imagine. You just deal with it. I mean, it kind of sucks, yes, but it's not the end of the world. Plus, I guess we took our chances going on a cruise ship at the height of cold and flu season. The funny thing is, even J, who seriously coughed her head off for like 3 or 4 of the 7 days, will tell me she remembers having such a good time. Total selective memory . . . in a good way.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you guys were able to salvage some of the fun of the trip. We haven’t been on any family trips. Disney is my dream vacation. I want the kids to be old enough to really enjoy and remember it.

    Happy SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to have some fun, even with the sickness. We have been away when one of our boys (then a toddler) got sick. It all worked out, but we still wished he were well enough to enough the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from SITS, great blog ~ Paula http://www.callmepmc.com/2013/03/diy-fabric-lined-wicker-Easter-basket.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a you made the best of a tough trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids are a bit older but our last trip a couple of weeks ago, my daughter had a soccer tournament in Virginia and since its about 7 hours away, we opted to drive and make a trip out of it and see Washington DC at the same time. We drove down Thursday afternoon and Thursday night into Friday morning, my daughter was throwing up all night in the hotel room. Whatever it was, it went through her quick because she played in a game late Friday night and was fine but it was a rough night (can you say miserable and neither my husband or I got any sleep!). We were able to see DC as planned, but we got a late start. Things never seem to go as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from SITS and enjoyed reading your post. So nice that your kids can experience so many wonderful vacations--and they also learn how to "roll with the punches" when things don't go as planned. Great life lesson opportunities! I think the parents set the tone for how it will go, so staying positive is so important (kids look at what you do much more than what you say).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being sick on vacation is one of my fears too. W are all going to Disney in June, so I hope we all stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! We might be going back in June as well.

      Delete
  9. Sick on vacation is bad. We were in a remote place when I had a wheezing attack. Never had one before or after. Locals said it was a blooming plant. Glad there was lots of fun involved. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh bummer! Kids just somehow know how to have the best timing. ;) Glad you still had some fun! Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We so want to do a Disney Cruise! Sorry you didn't have the time of your life! Next time :) Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy SITS day!
    You made the best out of an otherwise stressful situation. Glad it turned out well.
    I haven't taken a vacation with a little one just yet. I usually wait until they are 4 and over for vacation time and my baby will be turning 2 this Saturday so besides the pool and the beach, I am not taking him on a vacay. I know I don't have the patience for it.

    xoxo,
    Khloe
    www.kgstyleblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy SITS day! Glad the kiddos weren't so sick as to totally ruin the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how I would've reacted under the stress. You are definitely better than me...lol. Happy SITS Day! Andrea @ be-quoted.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a HUGE Disney fan and have always wanted to go on one of the cruises....but for now I am happy to visit Disney World, which is only a few hours from my home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you are so calm. I don't know how I would have handled that. This is why I don't have kids :) Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't tell you how I grateful I am to meet another mom of a BARKING ASTHMATIC!! We never found the treatments to help my daughter until they did a scope and found all her upper GI tissue completely DESTROYED by reflux! Now on new meds, her cough is so much better! We had nine years of the worst case of asthmatic flare ups docs had ever seen. It's AWFUL to take them anywhere. I absolutely understand!! SO glad you can look at the good things about this trip, as only us moms can do when crap hits the fan. (and it always does!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the barking sound freaks a lot of people out. I think I've gotten so used to it that it doesn't even occur to me anymore that it would sound odd to other people.

      Delete
  18. *Sigh* being a mom of two I know all to well about the chain reaction of illnesses! I just got finished battling two rounds of the stomach virus last week with my two daughters. So sorry that happened on vacation! I hate when I plan for things forever and then at the drop of a dime something changes the plans! I'm glad you all were able to have SOME fun though! Happy SITS Day again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aside from the sick kiddies ur vacay sounded fun! I'm Jennice visiting from SITS! Visit me sometime @ mommyincolor.com!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy SITS Day! I have enjoyed reading through your blog. I have been there many times when nothing seems to go as planned...it is just a part of our "parenting" job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. At least you were still able to have some fun during the holiday season. Hope you have enjoyed your SITS day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Disney would be our dream vacation spot and we haven't gotten around to realizing that dream yet. One thing I completely agree with you- Nothing ever goes as planned when it comes to travelling with children or anything to do with children. It is like expect the unexpected :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you were able to "salvage" the trip. Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you have the positive outlook to see the good in a not so ideal vacation week! Visiting from SITS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Visiting from SITS, my husband and I are planning to take a disney cruise in the next few years. It's good to hear from someone who has been on one! Glad you all still (mostly) had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've taken two Disney cruises, and even with the illnesses of the second one, they were both pretty awesome. We've done another cruise line and it just isn't the same. Disney really does go above and beyond to have something for everyone.

      Delete
  26. I love cruising. Our last cruise with the kids though my son caught a stomach bug right before our trip. Let's just say the first nite on the cruise we didn't sleep well

    ReplyDelete