Friday, February 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (45): Momma's Reading List

Linking this (as usual) at Conversion Diary. Thanks so much to Jennifer for hosting each week.

I write about books a lot on this blog, partly to keep track of the kinds of books Agent E is reading (see posts herehere, and here) for our end-of-year homeschool evaluation.

Today I'm sharing what is on my current reading list. These are all titles I am actively reading right now, intend to re-read, or would like to read.

1. The Bible. Right now I'm reading Mark. It is my intention for 2013 to focus on the Gospels. I actually read and re-read Matthew a few times already since the beginning of the year, and just moved on to Mark this week. I'm choosing to narrow my reading to these four books of the Bible this year, because I have felt like lately I tend to do my morning Bible reading too quickly and not concentrate . . . I get hung up on the idea of "finishing" one thing and moving on to the next. I am enjoying taking things slow, and examining chapters and verses at a more leisurely pace. 

2. A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 (by W. Phillip Keller). This book was originally published in 1970, and each chapter considers one line of the well-known psalm. I'm reading this particular text because the women's group at the church we recently started attending is using it as the basis of their study. Interestingly, after I joined these ladies, I remembered that I did a study of the 23rd Psalm about six or seven years ago (either when I was pregnant with E or she was a newborn) and I found some of my old notes. So, now I'm going back and reflecting on some of what stood out to me the first time I dug deep into these verses.

3. 20,000 Days and Counting (by Robert D. Smith). It's sort of a crash course in purposeful living. Interesting read so far.

4. How To Raise Emotionally Healthy Children (by Gerald Newmark). I downloaded this to my Kindle (free!) at the recommendation of one of the Facebook pages I follow. (I don't remember which one, or I'd give it a shout-out.)

5. Tell Your Time (by Amy Lynn Andrews). I finished this one recently, too, but I'm still utilizing the information to better organize my days. I think I am finally going to have to admit to myself that I am a routine person after all. (Be sure to check out Amy's website for all sorts of time management and blogging advice.)

6. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (by Stephen R. Covey). I first read this as a college student, but now I'm re-reading it through the eyes of a parent. Definitely a whole new perspective.

7. Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids (by Dr. Laura Markham). This is on my want-to-read wish list. It's been a long time since I actually purchased a book. I've been enjoying library books and free Kindle downloads. I think I might make an exception for this one, though. (For those of you not familiar with Dr. Markham, her website Aha! Parenting is filled with practical parenting tips for all ages.)

What are you currently reading? What's on your wish list?

5 comments :

  1. Ooo yay! I love books! I just requested some off the list from the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading and have Tell Your Time on my Kindle waiting to be read. Thanks for the good recommendations for parenting. I also have 7 habits for highly effective people. I am interested in what BookSneeze is and need to read Peaceful Parent, Happy Kds. Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, you should totally check out BookSneeze. Free books in exchange for agreeing to review them on your own blog plus another site (I usually use Amazon). Very cool. It's through a Christian book publisher; they have everything from devotionals to fiction to inspirational to children's. They have both print and Kindle books to choose from, and you just need to finish one and post the reviews before you can get a new one. If you have a hard copy, you don't need to return it . . . you can keep the book for yourself or give it away on your blog. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had more time to read! RIght now it's my Bible in the early a.m. before kids are up and I listen to samples while I work out on audible.com. Other than that I have a business trip in a few weeks and looking for a light read when I'll have time while at a hotel! My last favorite fiction book was 'Never The Bride' by Rene Gutteridge. Found you from SITS! Hope you'll drop by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete