Friday, March 29, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (49)

Ooh, yes . . . it's Friday. And that usually means 7QT at Conversion Diary. But there is not one today. But I wrote this before I knew that. I love writing these posts each week. Have a blog? You should join us. (Yes; I'm talking to you.) Anyway, here's my Quick Takes post that's not really a Quick Takes post because there is no Quick Takes post this week.

1. One day last week Agent A kept saying over and over what sounded like, I can't find my butt. I need my butt on. Help me put my butt on. Took me a looooong while to figure out the word he was looking for was belt, and not even a real belt, one from one of those puzzles that teaches you how to buckle, snap, zip, etc.

2. In the car on the way to the gym, Agent E started asking a million questions about going to school vs. homeschooling: Would she have to go every day? (Well, Monday through Friday, yes, unless there's a holiday.) Would it be like the preschool class she remembers? (Um, no.) Would she have homework? (Probably.) Would she take a bus or would Momma drive? (Eh . . . not sure.) If she took the bus, what time does the bus get to our house? (Well, it doesn't stop in front of our house, we'd have to leave the house at 7:30 and walk a block or two to meet it.) 7:30? You mean 7:30 a.m.? In the morning? (long pause) Yeah; that's too early.

3. Anyone else spring cleaning? I'm sort of on this decluttering and cleaning mission . . . so far, so good. The other day I cleared some books off my bookshelf that I've been dragging around with me move to move for like 15 years and finally decided I should just let go. I was quite proud of myself, because I usually have a hard time letting go of books. (Other stuff, not so much.) Then later that same day I came home with ten books from the YMCA's used book sale. In my defense, they were all for Agent E, not for me. Which brings me to #4 . . .

4. Do you find yourself encouraging your children to read the same books (or types of books) you read at the same ages? Or are there some that you "missed" the first time around but now find yourself seeking out for your own children? Two of the books I came home from the Y with were Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. Never. read. either. (Is that awful?) Agent E, however, read (and loved) both of them. 

5. I should clarify . . . the books Agent E is reading are watered-down versions of these stories. They are hardback books, about 175 pages, with lots of black and white drawings. So, the basic story modified for younger readers. They are both from from this series of Great Classics for Children. I honestly have no idea what age/grade level the original works are intended for. (Anyone want to help me out with this? Agent E is 6 and reading well, definitely above a first grade level. And, she can have a conversation about the characters and the plot, so I know she's really "getting" it.)

6. Spoiler alert, if you happen to be the other person on the planet besides me who hasn't read Anne of Green Gables: I asked Eva what she thought of it. The first thing she told me was, well, I liked it, and I like Anne, she does lots of fun things on the farm, but the ending is sad when Matthew dies. (Note to self: Do not ask Agent E what she thinks of a book you haven't read yet.)

7. So, I asked this question on my Facebook page earlier this week, but I'm going to ask it again here: Do you, Dear Reader of This Blog, also have your own blog? If so, leave a link in the comments and I will check it out.

12 comments :

  1. I was reading Anne of GG in the original version at seven... but it depends so much on the child's reading age, not their chronological age. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh . . . I thought I responded to this and Blogger ate my comment. I guess my main concern is balancing her reading capabilities with appropriate content for her maturity level.

      Delete
  2. I actually don't think I have read Anne of Green Gables either. But I feel like I should.
    Love your blog! :) Here is ours.
    http://www.thedoseofreality.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Been following along with you. Very entertaining!

      Delete
  3. Anne of green gables is my very favorite book. I have read it many times. I read the original version when I was 8. Maturity level should be ok for a 6 y/o. (It is more mature, but not in a bad way). Knowing that end part will in no way spoil the story. It is a natural occurrence, sad but not horrifyingly tragic. I believe the book is listed to be at a 6th grade reading level. Read it as an adult, it is a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh forgot I do have my own blog. 2 actually. My homeschool blog is http://hollyheatherhomeschool.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    2. I think I will have to actually read the whole thing myself at some point. I'm sure Agent E would enjoy the many other books about Anne as well. Thanks for visiting. I will pop over and check out your blog.

      Delete
  4. I read at an early age. I read anything and everything I could get my hands on. One of the series that I enjoyed as a child was the Little House series with Laura Ingalls. Enjoyed your blog. Have a blessed day. Followed you from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the LH series. I just can't remember when I read them. I'm sure E would be into them as well. I should look for some at the library on our next visit. Thanks for stopping by, Vicki.

      Delete
  5. LOL. I’m also guilty of getting rid of books and then quickly replacing them with more books. I just can’t let go. I’ve never read Anne of Green Gables. I have it on the shelf in case my daughter starts to show interest. I don’t care if she likes the classics or newer works, just as long as she has a love of reading/learning.

    Happy SITS. Have a blessed Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't really care what it is she reads as long as it's age-appropriate. And she definitely loves reading, which is great. Thanks for visiting! And Happy Easter.

      Delete
  6. I love Little Women and Anne of Green Cables. Personally, I have always been an advanced reader- so much so that i would read my grandma's romantic novels and skip over the inappropriate content lol. I still like to read anything that I can get my hands on. I don't think its dangerous as long as she able to talk to you about it. :) But that is my opinion.

    It must be spring= but all I want to do is clean. I started decluttering our basement and trying to get rid of toys, books and clothes. I am in such a cleaning mode that my mom asked if I was pregnant- Definitely not! Just really want to be clean and organized.

    My blog is www.ashleighgfg.blogspot.com and I studying to be a postpartum doula, so I am debating starting a new blog/ facebook or just changing the one I have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete