Sunday, March 24, 2013

Posts That Never Get Written


I've written previously about blogging topics that never come to fruition. In addition just simply never getting around too it, as was the case with this list of abandoned blog ideas, there are three main reasons I end up not writing about a topic that pops into my head, even if I really wanted to and initially thought it would have made an awesome post.

1. It's no longer timely. Truth: Momma is a good-intentioned procrastinator. I will never be one of those bloggers who has it together enough to write about current events or something trendy or controversial and generating lots of responses. Mostly I just end up debating the issue in my own head until it's too late to do much about it.

2. My thoughts are often more snarky than encouraging or informative. This is what sparked this short post, which has consistently been in my top-ten most viewed since the week I shared it. Sometimes things sound a lot better in my own brain, and I stop myself before I spew them out. 

3. I simply cannot remember what I wanted to write about. This is the biggest reason by far. I wish I could just turn my brain off when I'm driving, showering, nursing A in the middle of the night, or otherwise unable to jot something down. I've started keeping a dry erase board on the refrigerator so I can at least attempt to write cryptic notes to myself if I happen to be home and able. Most of the time, however, these snippets of great potential just disappear, never to be recalled again.

Do you have posts inside your head that will never be published for these (or other) reasons?

8 comments :

  1. Oh yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Especially number one. I cannot tell you how often that happens to us!-The Dose Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. I am *never* on top of these things!

      Delete
  2. Oh the timely one, forget it. I am almost never timely. Mostly because, well, I just never have time! #3 I am much better at, because I have these little notebooks I carry around with me so if I think of something I can just write it down, otherwise I would never remember!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the notebook thing in the past, but even then I realized most of the time I would get ideas when there was no way I could write anything down if I wanted to . . . like driving down the highway.

      Delete
  3. Definitely yes to ones in my head although mostly I won't let them stay there. I do have many unwritten blog post drafts, and many more notes scribbled on Post-it notes for posts I never wrote. Sometimes I eventually do them but they're totally changed by the time I write them out. And many more times, I abandon ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say at least 50% of my posts end up being completely different than what I originally envisioned them. Not sure what that says about me, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Number three for me, all the time. Driving is when I get my best ideas. And if I'm not on my way home so I can start writing the moment I get there... GONE. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've "lost" so many awesome posts because I composed them in my head while driving. Seriously, brilliant stuff . . . gone forever. The sad part is, EVERY time it happens I somehow convince myself THIS is going to be the time I have excellent recall and go home and type it all out. Ha!

      Delete