Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Top Ten {Tuesday}: Meal Planning

Sharing this over at Many Little Blessings. Be sure to stop by and check out Angie's post and the others linked up there.

One of the many "organizational" things I keep trying to convince myself I'm actually going to do one day is to create (and stick to) a two-week meal rotation for dinners. Consider the following list my brainstorming out loud. Imagine the usual appropriate side dishes (salad, bread, vegetables, potatoes, rice, etc.) where applicable. 

1. Beef and Bean Casserole. My fall-back meal. Easy, toss it all in one pot, everyone likes it. (The recipe made its way into a previous post, if you're curious.)

2. Chicken. Usually just lightly breaded and cooked in the oven. I can make a pretty good curry, too, but haven't for a while.

3. Chili. For some reason, Agent E will not touch this. On chili nights, she gladly has peanut butter and jelly instead.

4. Fish. Tilapia, to be exact. I know; boring.

BLW in action: 6-month-old Agent A enjoying
some pizza in Bari, Italy (May 2011)
5. Kabob-less Kabobs. The same meat and veggies cooked separately and without the use of a deadly sharp object.

6. Pasta and Meatballs. Whole wheat pasta and homemade meatballs. Store-bought sauce. (I used to love making homemade sauce, and intend to again someday, but for now convenience wins.)

7. Pork Chops. On the grill if Hubby is around, in the oven if not. (Side note: They are in the oven right now as I'm typing this draft.)

8. Tacos/Burritos. We could probably make these healthier than we do. The processed side dishes are what gets us. I need to come up with better alternatives.

9. Tater Tot Casserole. Yes; this is as bad for you as it sounds. And I should probably remove it from the list. But, alas, I haven't.

10. Turkey Meatloaf. Made with the stuffing baked in. An Agent E and Agent A favorite.

And . . . that's only ten ideas, not enough for a two-week plan. We often have leftovers, but rarely enough for a complete meal the next night, so the Agents and I usually finish them off for the next day's lunch. The only other thing I can come up with is stew, which is simple (hello, crock pot) and I love, but for whatever reason have not made in probably three years. And I should probably just be realistic and add "pizza or takeout" to the list because we inevitably do this at least once every two weeks.

What does dinner look like at your house? Do you have a plan or just wing it?

6 comments :

  1. You have a nice variety of meals here. It sure would simplify one's life to follow a two-week plan like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the goal! Now to actually make it happen . . .

      Delete
  2. Burritos, paninis, and chicken with lemon caper sauce are our staples! I try to plan my meals ahead too, definitely makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need something new to try with chicken. I always make it the same boring way. Thanks for visiting, Michelle.

      Delete
  3. My kids love quesadillas and they are easy to change up. I like them filled with one can of black beans (juice and all), a cup of frozen corn, two cups of cheese and a sprinkle of taco seasoning. (Those measurements are approximate because I never measure!) Mix all that up and add it to a tortilla. Fold the tortillas in half and cook them on the stove. Flip, and brown the other side until cheese is nice and melty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good. And easy. I think I might try that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete