11 June 2013

10 Things I DON'T Like About Homeschooling

I've written a lot about educating our children at home on this blog, mostly positive and happy-happy joy-joy posts, because that's generally how I feel about it. I love that we homeschool, and the majority of the time I'm glad to be doing it. But, there are some things about it that don't exactly thrill me. So, hence you believe we never think anything negative about homeschooling and/or there aren't things about it that I consider less than ideal, I present the following list.

1. Never experiencing that slightly giddy feeling of knowing once you drop all the kids off at school you have a few hours when you don't have to be "on" and can breathe.

2. Making appointments for yourself (doctor, dentist, etc.) is a major pain in the butt. Do you bring everyone? Pay a sitter? Hope Hubby can go in late/come home early that day?

3. The socialization question. It gets old. Really old.


4. Feeling like my children represent all homeschoolers when we go out in public in the middle of the day.

5. Not having an outside force to anchor my daily routine.

6. No break from small people messing up the house during the day.

7. Dealing with the days when I feel like we're not accomplishing anything.

8. Sometimes you just want to go to the commissary without having to push 70 pounds worth of kids in a rocket ship cart.

9. Siblings do not get a break from each other. (Yes, they are best buddies, but that is a lot of togetherness.)

10. That moment when someone asks you what curriculum you use and you have to quickly think of something that sounds better than we make it up as we go along.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I can agree with all of those things! Especially the part about littles always being around to mess up the house - we definitely *live* in our home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are a brave, brave Mama if you take the kids to the Commissary by yourself. I stopped that after Kid #2. No. way. You ROCK girl!!

    OK, adding to the list (and that's a pretty awesome list)... Not getting summers "off." We pretty much school year 'round, because if we don't, chaos insues. I haven't had a day "off" in... I don't remember when. We tend to keep on keeping on, just do the next thing, and that gets old. Gotta remember to take more breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, I sure can relate to this list! Thanks for sharing this real life list of the harder things we endure.
    #8 had me bursting out loud - YES! I can just see it! I have totally been-there-done-that!
    and #10 - I know that one pretty well too.

    Now that my children are older, I admit that I do get those breaks, and more time to do what I want to do, but I remember well the days that I thought would never end. The days when I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself! These days won't last forever, really. Hang in there, it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all of these! Sometimes it's just so much. I wouldn't want them to go back to school, but it would be nice for them to get a break from being with each other so much. And, yeah, I do miss how productive I once was when I had regular free time.

    But, I try to tell myself that this time will pass and when I look back on it, it won't seem like it was that big of a deal. It's just that at the moment, it's pretty all encompassing.

    ReplyDelete