24 July 2013

Baby Stuff

There are certain baby stuff "milestones" I can't help but consider as my youngest approaches three. (Wait? Is that possible? Um, apparently.) Interestingly, each of the Agents has "outgrown" these three things in a different order. I'm thinking specifically of breastfeeding, diapers, and using a high chair.

Agent E was out of diapers completely (even at night) by 2 years, 10 months. She continued to nurse at least once a day, however, until 3 years, 3 months. It was shortly after that (around 3.5) that she stopped using a high chair/booster seat for meals.

Agent J stopped nursing at 2 years, 2 months. She stopped using the high chair at 2.5, right around the time Agent A was born. We at one point had two high chairs at the table, because the Senior Agents' time using them overlapped, but by the time A came along we were down to one. The diaper thing took a little longer for J.

Now on to Agent A . . . the first thing he has decided to dispense with is the high chair. For a few days in a row he would come to the table and put a stuffed animal at his place instead, and then climb onto a regular chair. He would tell me, high chair for Pooh (or whomever). I would still try to put him in there sometimes, because he really isn't tall enough to reach the table well and still kind of messy. But after a few days he became even more insistent and flat out refused. So, for the first time in over seven years, we no longer have a high chair gracing our kitchen table. We've made plans to give them both away, to two sets of expectant parents on Hubby's ship.

As far as breastfeeding vs. diapers, that remains to be seen. Agent A has taken quite an interest in learning the potty, and is "successful" at least a couple of times a day, but it's still in the very early stages. Agent E has made it her mission to help him learn, referring to him as her Potty Padawan. (Yes; we're still obsessed with Star Wars around here.) I mentioned several months ago that I was kind of over the nursing thing, but Agent A has different ideas. It's finally gotten to the point where I've taken initiative to limit the frequency, but he's not giving up his favorite activity without a fight. If I had to predict, I'd say diapers will go first, with nursing following shortly thereafter.

It's crazy to thing that by the end of this year all three of my children could very well be weaned, using the toilet independently, and eating at the kitchen table like big kids. It will be the end of an era.
Flashback to 8-month-old Agent A (July 2011)
One thing I considered adding to this list is co-sleeping, although it would probably be more accurate to say regular, intentional co-sleeping, because given the option Agent J (and to a lesser extent Agent E) would still choose to cuddle up with Momma every night. As far as purposefully starting out the night in the same room, with their actual beds in place on our master bedroom floor, however . . . that stopped for the Senior Agents when we moved into our current house last summer. So, they had just turned six and four. They now share a room (two single beds pushed together) and generally spend more time sleeping in there than not. (Except for the last couple of weeks before I wrote this post. Of course.) Agent A still has a bed on our floor, and I anticipate he will for some time to come. After that, we'll probably figure out a way to fit three single beds in the girls' room, because I can guarantee none will want to sleep in a separate room alone any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Your Disney pictures inspired me to remember our first trip there WITHOUT a stroller. It felt crazy and good at the same time! Using a stroller was just something we did there forever. And now it seems like a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I purposely did not include stroller because I honestly could not remember. I know that when Julia was born, I would sometimes push her in the stroller and have toddler Eva walk (they are 23 months apart) but I have no recollection of how long that continued, or if Eva ever went "back" in the stroller. We also bought a used double stroller before Andrew was born (he and Julia are 30 months apart) but I have no idea how long that lasted either. Andrew still uses a stroller, mostly when I'm out by myself with all three and logistically Momma simple runs out of arms. We're still hit or miss with Disney; sometimes we use it but often we don't. I'd say that it's likely to be folded up in the trunk of our car "just in case" for at least another 6-12 months, though.

      Delete