The Person I (Don't) Want To Be

Sometimes Past Me makes Current Me cringe. 

It probably doesn't help that I have a written record (aka, this blog) of significant swaths of my own insanity collected over the last four years.

The truth about blogging is . . . the longer you do it, the more you hate your older posts. You will keep (most of) them up (and maybe add a disclaimer to your About Me section) but you will still want to roll your own eyes at yourself. 

Following are some parent/blogger personas/attitudes that I have maybe probably definitely been in the past, but sincerely wish to avoid in the future.

1. If only you knew more, you'd agree with me. Often disguised as "just sharing information" and frequently accompanied by that dreadfully overused Maya Angelou quote about knowing better doing something blah blah blah.

2. You just wait. I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of this a time or two. I hate hearing it from parents of older kids and teens, and so I try not to reflect this to parents of babies and toddlers. Sometimes it's hard because I'm kind of snarky by nature, but yeah. I shouldn't do this.

3. I have one kid and I know everything. Okay, so maybe not a perfect comparison since I have three kids. But you get the idea.

4. I'm distracted but I have a really good reason. Usually involves some level of defensiveness about electronic devices. Folks like to twist this one around so it seems like anyone who looks at them half sideways is judging them and woe is me because I just need a break, dammit. But really, there is a time and a place for everything.

5. I love this, so you should, too. I try to keep this in mind when I write about how much I enjoyed the time I spent breastfeeding the Agents. It's not for everyone, and doesn't need to be. A good reminder for me is to consider that many women feel about breastfeeding the way I feel about babywearing.

Someone please do whatever the polite version of pinching me or kicking me in the butt would be if I drift into this territory again. Thanks.

So, what do I want to do instead?

1. Share information with no ulterior motive other than to share information.

2. Keep in mind that everything has a season, and I need to concentrate on mine.

3. Focus on what works for us.

4. Be mindful of the myriad things competing for my attention, and know my priorities.

5. Enjoy blogging about what is important to me without imposing expectations on anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment