Getting close to the end of this series of posts about the last school year. Today I’m going to review what we covered for art and music. I’m making these two subjects one combined post because, truthfully, they simply did not get the same attention that other subjects did this year.
What we did (and might do next)
We read interesting books about styles, artists, drawing, and film. The Agents created their own art (with clay, paint, markers, chalk, paper). They also like to illustrate their own books.
We are tentatively considering a traveling outdoor art class this summer. It’s reasonably priced and I think the Senior Agents would love it, but that means I’m corralling Agent A for 1.5 hours at random outside places, so . . . hmm. Still thinking about it.
We also came home from our latest Disney cruise with a copy of Learn to Draw Mickey Mouse and His Friends, which has been a big hit.
We read about musical instruments, composers, and musical time periods and genres. We listened to samples of different types of music, and even watched a movie about Beethoven (Beethoven Lives Upstairs).
The Agents actually like listening to classical music, and so we have it on in the car frequently and downloaded several pieces from Amazon, in addition to the several CDs we already owned. I would actually like to get into the habit of playing music in the background while we do our “sit down” work each day.
Agent E started practicing on a recorder, and learning the basics of reading music. We have a long way to go on this one, but the interest level is there for learning and instrument so we will likely pursue this next year.
Art Book List
- A Child’s Book of Play in Art by Lucy Micklethwait
- A Is for Art: Abstract Alphabet by Stephen T. Johnson
- Backstage at an Animated Series by Danny Fingeroth
- Cool Drawing: The Art of Creativity for Kids by Anders Hanson
- Frida Kahlo: Painting Her Life by Lila and Rick Guzman
- Frida Kahlo: The Artist Who Painted Herself by Margaret Frith
- How the Sphinx Got to the Museum by Jessie Hartland
- Leonardo Da Vinci: Art for Children by Ernest Raboff
- My Art Book: Amazing Art Projects Inspired by Masterpieces by DK Publishing
- My Art Book: Animals by DK Publishing
- Pablo Picasso: Breaking All the Rules by True Kelley
- Star Wars Complete Locations (multiple authors)
- Star Wars Trilogy by James Luceno
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide by Ryder Windham
- The Usborne Art Treasury by Rosie Dickins
- Where in the World? Around the Globe in 13 Works of Art by Bob Raczka
Music Book List
- Ah, Music! by Aliki
- Beethoven Lives Upstairs by Barbara Nichol
- Children’s Book of Music (with CD) by DK Publishing
- Is the Guitar for You? by Elaine Landau
- Johann Sebastian Bach by Paule du Bouchet
- Mozart: The Wonder Child by Diane Stanley
- Music: An A-Z Guide by Nicola Barber
- My Little House Songbook by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Sebastian: A Book About Bach by Jeanette Winter
- What Makes an Orchestra by Jan Balet